New: Ortho Pilates for back pain week May 2018
Relieve your aching back while enjoying the pleasures of a Greek Island holiday. Join us in our Pilates for Back Pain retreat.
This exceptional retreat, unlike any other, offers you personalized support including an in-depth assessment of your structural and postural issues with our experienced osteopath, Jessica, working in partnership with Alex, our Pilates (Back4Good) coach. Together they will devise the ideal therapeutic regime designed to realign your bones and joints, free up and strengthen your aching muscles. Your daily Pilates exercises will retrain your posture, help you to support your body to become more stable and more flexible while avoiding those aches and pains.
Release, Realign, Rebuild:
The powerful combination of manual therapy and Pilates will foster a greater awareness and appreciation of your back and help to improve your overall health and wellbeing.
Your week will begin with a comprehensive assessment and treatment from our osteopath. Beginner Pilates students may need a small-group session to cover the essentials during that first day.
Each morning there will be a full 90 minute-Pilates class, followed by a delicious healthy breakfast. For the rest of the daytimes there will be one to one sessions with Alex or Jessica as needed and you will otherwise be free to relax or explore the island – there are two cars available for you to use. Then at sunset there will be a second Pilates ‘relax and unwind’ class. In the evening you will have the chance to discover a range of local restaurants. The full program is detailed below.
Ortho Pilates for back pain week offer May 2018:
The packages includes:
– a stay of 7 nights in a luxury studio or apartment in Xenonas Fos ke Choros, Kiperi House or Kalami House*
– daily breakfast
– welcome diner at local restaurant during the first evening
– morning and evening Pilates classes supported by 2 teachers
– one osteopathy assessment at the start and further one to one sessions ( Pilates or osteopathy ) during the week, as needed.
– A personal treatment and maintenance plan with targeted exercises and specific advice tailored to your own individual needs and lifestyle. This feedback will be available online after the week is over.
– a personal treatment and maintenance plan with targeted exercises and things you need to know, tailored to your own needs and lifestyle. This will be available online after the week is over.
– farewell drinks at local café
– 2 rental cars available for the group to use
The package does not include:
– an overnight stay in Athens. As a result of the flight connections you may need to book a stay in Athens on May 17.
– return flights from your home country to Athens and from Athens to Kythera. Ask us a for a free personal Travel Proposal. At the bottom of this page you will a suggested Travel Proposal from London.
– costs of evening meals (except welcome diner). All rooms have fully equipped kitchens, where participants can prepare their own meals. There are also various restaurants in the area with good quality food at low prices.
Price and accommodation:
The following accommodations are available for participants:
– a Suite or a Studio at Xenonas Fos ke Choros
– an apartment at Kiperi House, a small traditional guesthouse in the village of Frilingianika (5 minutes driving from Xenoas Fos ke Choros)
The price for the full package is:
€ 1.545,00 per person – for staying in a Studio or a Suite at Xenonas Fos ke Choros or an apartment at Kiperi House.
€ 1.330,00 per person – for 2 persons sharing a Suite or a studio at Xenonas Fos ke Choros. The Suites have a separate bedroom and a sleeping area on a traditional platform in the livingroom. The studios are suitable for a couple to share.
Pilates targets the deep postural muscles, building strength from the inside out, re-balancing the body and bringing it into correct alignment. It helps to reshape your body, which will become longer, leaner and more toned. It will also improve your posture, achieving a balance between strength and flexibility, and it is a great way to relieve unwanted stress and tension.
Pilates is perfectly suited to working through chronic and habitual Back Pain conditions so often brought on by poor posture and bad habits
Its slow, controlled approach which combines mind as well as body control, means that it gives much longer-term results. It is especially recommended by medical specialists for those with back problems.
Osteopathy specializes in the diagnosis, management, treatment and prevention of musculoskeletal and other related disorders, such as Lower Back Pain.
It is a system of medicine which looks at individuals’ muscular and skeletal structures: including their strengths, weaknesses, habits and movement mechanics, in order to better understand or help with any pains or injuries which have developed over time.
Therapeutic management is aimed at restoring balance and alignment while reducing stress in areas and joints where inflammation, wear and tear and, eventually, pain and may occur.
Treatment is hands on and involves skilled manipulation of the spine and joints and massage of the muscles and soft tissues. Any findings from your assessment will be explained to you by your osteopath and you will be able to discuss suggested treatment methods (together).
Alex Mavrocordatos prefers to work closely with individuals and small groups committed to improving their own bodies and themselves: addressing their aches and pains, refining their posture and developing their core strength, retain (or regain) a sleeker profile and work towards an active healthy body.
Alex is an an experienced Body Control Pilates teacher, with further extensive training related to Low Back Pain to become a Back4Good® Practitioner and BackCare professional.
Alex initially trained as a performing artist in the sixties and seventies, specializing in dance and movement and what is now known as ‘Physical Theatre’. His dance training was in the LABAN system through the Joos/Leeder method.
In subsequent years this was augmented by a growing awareness and involvement with the Alexander technique which kept feeding body awareness and control into his performance work as well as his teaching.
Jessica Ovett is an osteopath with nearly 20 years experience in traditional structural osteopathy and gentle cranial techniques. Her first degree in Psychology and Neuroscience fueled her interest in understanding the body/mind relationship and its impact on health and wellbeing. In 1998 she graduated from The British College of Osteopathic Medicine (BCOM) in London and has been working in London ever since. She currently runs a complementary health practice in Highgate, North London with a colleague.
Jessica is experienced in using osteopathy to help conditions such as neck and back pain and sports injuries. Osteopathy may also be helpful with bio-mechanical and postural conditions. Having worked closely for a number of years with other types of therapists and practitioners of muscular skeletal medicine, she adopts a whole body approach, taking all aspects of her patients into consideration. Following a longtime interest in Pilates she has recently trained with Body Control Pilates teacher training in London.
Indicative Travel Plan:
|Thursday 17 May 2018||London – Athens||British Airways||13:15 – 18:55|
|Friday 18 May 2018||Athens – Kythira||Aegean Air||07:30 – 08:20|
|Friday 25 May 2018||Kythira – Athens||Aegean Air||08:40 – 09:25|
|Friday 25 May 2018||Athens – London||British Airways||15:30 – 17:30|
– costs return flight London – Athens € 150,00*
– costs return flight Athens-Kythira € 85,00*
* Flight prices can change during time. We advise to book early.
Full program Pilates for back pain week:
|– release and relaxation session|
|– welcome diner at local restaurant|
|– introduction session|
|– personal Osteo sessions throughout over the day|
|– introduction to Pilates session, for beginners, held in parallel|
|– evening session – breath, release and body-scan|
|Day 2 until 5|
|– morning – juice/coffee/thee/water|
|– dynamic Pilates class|
|– one to one Pilates or Osteopathy sessions during daytime, as needed|
|– release classes at sunset|
|– morning – juice/coffee/thee/water|
|– dynamic Pilates class|
|– farewell drink with Greek snacks at local café|
|Day 7 – day of departure|
|– preparing for departure|