A small late 19th century farmers house turned into a romantic holiday retreat. Myrtidia House is located in a peaceful and mystical environment next to main Monastery of Kythira, Panagia Myrtidiotissa. The house was build in 1888 by Andreas Vladis, who, together with Nikolaos Fatseas, also was responsible for the construction of the magnificent sandstone bell tower of the Monastery.
It is an open plan studio in a modern-traditional style and consists of a living-/bedroom with a fully equipped kitchen and a bathroom. It accommodates 2 persons. From the garden-terrace you have a nice view of the Ionian sea and the sunset.
- room size 25 m2
- walled courtyard with old olive tree, bamboo covered terrace size 17 m2 and open terrace 10 m2
- light brown polished cement floors, kitchen and bathroom
- traditional wooden platform that serves as (lounge) bed
- beamed, white colored ceiling
- heating and cooling by means of inverter air conditioning unit
- bathroom heating
- woodburning stove for heating in Winter
- wireless internet
- 4-burner hob
The tiny hamlet of Myrtidia is in the middle of a tranquil and green valley, close to the south-western coast of the island, and is surrounded by pine and olive trees. The village is dominated by the Monastery of Myrtidiotissa, the most important church on Kythira.
The monastery was founded to honor the icon of the Panayia Myrtidiotissa, which was found on 24 September 1446, on the current location of the monastery by a shepherd. The icon depicts the Virgin Mary holding the Christ child. It is unusual because the faces of both the Virgin and the child are completely black. Many miraculous events have been tributed to the icon. The islanders were saved from pirates and plagues. Sick people found health and paralyzed people could walk again.
The katholikon, a magnificent basilica type church, was completed in 1855. Below this church is the original chapel, called the evresis (the place of discovery). This is were the icon was found. Here the icon is kept from November 21 until the beginning of Lent. On this day the icon is moved to Chora, where it stays until Easter Sunday. From Chora it is taken in a procession, the gira, through the villages and towns back to the monastery. Then, the rest of the year the icon is placed on a marble throne in the Katholikon.
On August 15 (Assumption day) and September 28 (the feast of discovery of the icon) the monastery is visited by thousands of pilgrims.
But for most of the year the monastery and its amazing courtyard are an oasis of peace and quiet and well worth a visit.